Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The project

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. - Dalai Lama
----------------------------------------
As I am currently holidaying in the good old hometown, it all started when I (true to my-attention-seeking-self) told my dear friends that my birthday's coming up.
Most of them answered,"So, what do you want for your birthday present?" or "Let's go grab some food and drinks. My treat." Some of them answered,"So what?"
I was lying on my bed and started thinking, what did I want? And it struck me, I am lucky enough to have everything I need and I don't want anything anymore. I'm content. And I realized how lucky I am to have friends who would spend more than 50 euro to buy me presents, treat me to dinner in posh lounges, how we're able to spend some hundred euro in one night just for food and beverage.

To those who have never been in Indonesia before, just a quick information. We are a developing country and the gap between the rich and the poor is very present. Some people have to survive and support their families on less than 100 Euro monthly, while others who are luckier will spend the same amount on drinks and parties in a night. (Please don't cast stones at me, I do plead guilty of this).

So I decided to share my birthday celebration with 70 children in an orphanage near Jakarta on Feb 19th. At first I wanted to pay the food and cake from my friend's fund, so the money they're going to spend on me will go to those children's burgers instead. But then I found out that this orphanage is an independent orphanage, which means they do not have any trust fund. So, at this point I decided I would personally pay for the food expenses, and my friend's money will go as cash donation.

I broadcasted my project to the people on my contact list, posted it on social media, shamelessly extorting my friends and cousins. And I got very positive responses from them. Some offered to help, some are willing to donate and share the words. This is going bigger :)

At the beginning I only planned on food and balloons for the kids, now I have photographers, cake donation, etc. Some friends are coordinating clothes donation, cash donation is also pouring in. Some are so eager to drive me to the orphanage, hey they are even more excited than me about this project!

The words spread and I got friends from Deutschland, Australia, Austria, Sweden, South Korea etc  asking me how they could donate. I got the Australians covered, as they can wire their donation to my brother's Brisbane account and he'll give me the cash in our currency. Others can transfer to my Indonesian or German account. 

To be honest, there's a selfish satisfaction in this. I always believe in the good in people, and this project affirms me of people's warmheartedness and goodness, of how enthusiastic people are in helping others. We are one after all.
Someone told me before, that people are evil in the first place and no one can do good without believing in God. I'm glad that he's wrong. My donators aren't religious people who go to worship places every week, but they do know compassion and they believe in humanity. And that's what matters the most.

I can still remember the head-sister of the orphanage thanking me wholeheartedly when I was talking to her on the phone, and it made me realize, I should be the one thanking her and the children. They are the ones who give me the chance, the possibility of trying to make a change. They taught me about love and warmth, something that money can't buy. The givers should be thankful indeed.

"Many small people who in many small places do many small things can alter the face of the world"

* I still have 5 days to extort and beg and I am thanking all of those who make this possible, as I can't do this all alone. Together we can make a difference :)



Taman Fioretti Orphanage
Jalan Raya Kampung Sawah Gg Pos 04/01 No. 16

Jati murni - Pondok Gede Bekasi 17431
Indonesia

Phone : +6221-713 55 174
Contact : Sr. Monika

No comments:

Post a Comment